We are a network of academics committed to tackling racial inequality in higher education. Our work is largely project-oriented and consultancy-based.
- To enhance the voice and visibility of 1Black academics within higher education.
- To build intellectual, social and cultural capital within our communities and highlight our contribution to the knowledge economy.
- To transform the institional culture from one that is Eurocentric to one that is culturally democratic.
- To contribute to social change through research and educational practice.
- To shape policy and practice around race equality initiatives in the higher education sector.
- We believe that staff and students of colour have an important role to play in defining the key issues around racial inequality and advancing effective solutions.
- Our chief concern is in challenging the status quo rather than assimilating into a flawed system.
Join Our Community
- It’s free join our community – sign up HERE in less than a minute!
- You’ll be able to follow the PhD Network and Black Sister Network, receive updates on current projects and invitations to participate in future projects.
- You’ll receive details of forthcoming events and activities, including social events.
- You’ll receive invitations to participate in future research, consultations etc.
1‘Black’ is used politically and conceptually as a term of empowerment and is inclusive of people from all racialised minority backgrounds (African, Caribbean, Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi, Chinese, dual heritage etc.). While it is accepted that these groups are heterogeneous, we are united as a strategy to foster unity and collaboration. See our statement on racial categorisation and terminology.
Download our BBA DIGITAL MEDIA PACK (NEW)