We are a network of academics (established in 2013), committed to tackling racial inequality in higher education. Our work is project-oriented and consultancy-based.
- To enhance the voice and visibility of 1Black academics within higher education.
- To build intellectual, social and cultural capital within our communities.
- To highlight our contribution to the knowledge economy.
- To decolonise, democratise and diversify the institutional culture in higher education.
- To shape policy and practice around race equality across the higher education sector.
- To contribute to social change in the wider society.
We believe that staff and students of colour have an important role to play in defining the key issues around racial inequality and advancing effective solutions.
Join Our Community
- It’s free join our community – sign up HERE in one minute!
- You’ll be able to follow the PhD Network, Black Sister Network and Leaders Forum.
- You’ll receive periodic updates, offers, invitations to attend events and participate in future projects.
1‘Black’ is used politically and conceptually as a term of empowerment and is inclusive of people from all racialised minority backgrounds (African, Caribbean, Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi, Chinese, dual heritage etc.). While it is accepted that these groups are heterogeneous, we are united as a strategy to foster unity and collaboration. See our statement on racial categorisation and terminology.
Important Notice About Fake Sites
BLACK BRITISH ACADEMICS IS A UK-BASED ORGANISATION SET UP BY DR DEBORAH GABRIEL AND HAS NO CONNECTION OR RELATIONSHIP WHATSOEVER WITH CHINA-BASED COMPANIES THAT HAVE REGISTERED OUR DOMAIN NAME IN CHINA [blackbritishacademics.cn, blackbritishacademics.com.cn, blackbritishacademics.net.cn, blackbritishacademics.org.cn OR SIMILAR. PLEASE DO NOT CLICK ON ANY OF THESE NON-UK DOMAINS AS THEY ARE FAKE SITES! THE ONLY GENUINE BLACK BRITISH ACADEMICS WEBSITE IS THIS SITE WHICH BEARS THE DOMAIN NAME ‘.ORG.UK’. WE HAVE REPORTED THIS INFRINGEMENT TO THE AUTHORITIES.